Los Angeles Times
Where the wild things stay: TripAdvisor's top pet-friendly hotels
The Roughley Manor in Twentynine Palms looks far more Hogwartian than desert dwelling. The historic bed and breakfast on 25 quiet acres near Joshua Tree National Park was the sole California site on TripAdvisor's recent list of top 10 pet-friendly properties in the United States.
"We have four pet-friendly rooms, and a pet on the grounds, Sammy, our dog," said owner Gary Peters, who has operated the B&B with wife Jan for the last 18 years. The three-story house, made from hand-collected local stone, was completed in 1928 and known as Campbell's Ranch, Peters said.
Guests stay in two suites in the main house or 10 other rooms on the property at 74744 Joe Davis Drive [(760) 376-3238] for $145 to $160 a night -- and no additional costs for pets.
TripAdvisor gathered the list from the most highly rated properties that allow pets on its site as of July 30, according to a statement. The online travel site also surveyed more than 1,000 pet owners in the country and found that 49% plan to travel with their pets in the next 12 months and 56% will bring their pets with them to stay in a hotel.
The rest of the top 10 list of venues that will welcome Fido are dominated by East Coast properties.
- The Reynolds Mansion, Asheville, N.C.; average rate of $155 a night.
- Stony Point Bed & Breakfast, Tyrone, Pa.; average rate of $81 a night.
- Phineas Swann Bed and Breakfast Inn, Montgomery Center, Vt.; average rate of $121 a night.
- Applewood Manor Inn Bed & Breakfast, Asheville, N.C.; average rate of $145 a night.
- At Journey's End Bed and Breakfast, St. Augustine, Fla.; average rate of $129 a night.
- Biltmore Village Inn, Asheville, N.C.; average rate of $220 a night.
- The Ruby of Crested Butte, Crested Butte, Colo.; average rate of $199 a night.
- Cliffside Inn, Newport, R.I.; average rate of $395 a night.
- Eureka Sunset, Eureka Springs, Ark.; average rate of $85 a night.